Monday, June 24, 2013

Starting with the basics

 Before we jump into recipes, lets evaluate your vitamin and supplement intake.  Here is a snap shot of what the hubby and I take.


  The pic was taken a couple of months ago so I'm sure I've added or discarded a few of those and changed brands depending on additional information I may have read.  Don't have a panic attack thinking you need to take that many pills!  It took me 2 years of adding and trying different supplements before I got to this point.

So I know you're wondering, "where do I start"?  Well, this is how I came up with a good 'base' of vitamins and supplements ~ I read the book Mood Cure.  It provides a good recommendation for a base of vitamins and supplements and it will also suggest special supplements if you are battling blood sugar mood swings, menopausal symptoms, stress, addictions, adrenal exhaustion and depression!  There is even a neat little quiz if you think you might be battling one of the ones I just listed:
  

Now I'm no doctor or nutrionist, so do your research but here is where I started:
A good Multivitamin
Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc (you can actually find this all in 1 pill)
Vitamin D
B Complex
Vitamin C (1000mg)
Fish oil (check the DHA level on your fish oil.  Need 1200-2400 a day)

That's it.   Six pills is not too bad, is it?  

So you might be thinking "I don't need to take all these vitamins.  I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits for the vitamins and nutrients".   Well, here is one little piece of information I stumbled on a couple of years ago.... fruits and vegetables grown decades ago were much richer in vitamins and minerals than the varieties most of us get today!  Its sad but true.  Modern agricultural methods have stripped the nutrients from our soil.  So even if you eat your veggies like a good boy or girl, you will still lack the amount of vitamins and nutrients needed to sustain a healthy life style.   If you want to read more on this subject, here is an article I found online:

I'll end this post with my newest find.  I love the employees at Sprouts.  They seem to be very knowledgable about all their products.  The lady gave me a 10 page printout of all the benefits of this multivitamin.  So far so good :)



No comments :

Post a Comment